5S or the 5 pillars of the visual workplace is a systematic process of workplace organization.
- Sort– remove all items from the workplace that are NOT needed for current production.
- Set in Order– arranging needed items so that they are easy to find and put away. Items used often are placed closer to employee.
- Shine– making sure everything is clean, functioning & ready to go
- Standardize– the method you use to maintain the first 3S’s.
- Sustain– making a habit of properly maintaining correct procedures.
(7) Wastes consist of:
- Inappropriate Processing
- Unnecessary Inventory
- Unnesssary / Excess Motion
Value Stream Mapping
Value Stream Mapping involves mapping information and product flow for a given value stream. The mapping is done in such a way that allows one to visualize the current state and to plan and implement a future state with measurable goals.